Uninstaller Leaves DLLs Behind

Common questions about using Actual Installer.
Pizzor2000

Uninstaller Leaves DLLs Behind

Post by Pizzor2000 »

I am testing an installer for my application on a 64-bit Windows 7 machine. After doing an uninstall of the program, the folder for my application is still in my Program Files (x86) directory. Quite a few DLL and OCX files remain in the folder.

The DLLs that are left behind, I do have listed in the Register tab of Actual Installer as "DLL/ActiveX." It appears that most, if not all, of my DLL/ActiveX registrations are left behind when my application is uninstalled. I do not have "Do not unregister during uninstallation" checked on any of the files in this list, so I assume they would be unregistered and deleted when the program uninstalls.

Why would the uninstaller miss these DLLs?
Leo
Site Admin

Re: Uninstaller Leaves DLLs Behind

Post by Leo »

Can you delete these files manually? If so, then try option 'Force Uninstall' on the Uninstallation page.
Leo,
Actual Installer Team
https://www.actualinstaller.com
Pizzor2000

Post by Pizzor2000 »

I tried it with the "Force Uninstall" option, but it still retains the same DLLs as before.

I am able to manually delete the folder with no problems. The UAC prompts me for administrator permissions, but I would expect that.
Leo
Site Admin

Post by Leo »

Does these DLLs exist in the destination folder before installation?
And please send your project file (.aip) to info {at} actualinstaller.com
Leo,
Actual Installer Team
https://www.actualinstaller.com
Pizzor2000

Post by Pizzor2000 »

I have tried deleting the entire folder from my Program Files (x86) before installing. I have also tried rebooting my computer prior to uninstalling the program (to make sure the program was not still holding any of these DLLs in memory). Nothing seems to make a difference.

I have e-mailed my AIP file to you.