Chaining multiple program installation

Common questions about using Actual Installer.
swinster

Chaining multiple program installation

Post by swinster »

Hi all,

This is (I hope a simple question). I use a few Batch files that in themselves call multiple other applications and python scripts,. In addition, some of these applications have tweaked settings such as registry entries or settings files.

I looking to create single package for work colleagues, that will:
  1. install multiple other applications,
  • import the different settings for the applications,
  • set-up various folders,
  • manipulate some system variable (such as the %PATH%),
  • copy across the Batch files and scripts, and
  • create a short-cut to the batch files in the user "Send To" directory.
Firstly is this possible? Secondly, do I need the pro version here?
ggrewe

Re: Chaining multiple program installation

Post by ggrewe »

Swinster, You can do all of these tasks but, I do not know if you need the Pro version to do all these. We have the Pro version and it has been well worth the purchase.

If you want to actually install other applications, you will need to deliver those setup programs with your setup and then run them as prerequisites or as "Commands" pre/post installation. If they are a prerequisite, you can simply provide a link to the download and allow the user to download them and install the program themselves.

For the registry settings, yes there is a method in the "Registry" section of the "System" process to import registry settings. If you mean changes to an INI file, in the "INI" section of the "System" process, you can edit files. I have not had much luck editing an app.config (XML) file yet, but we are trying to make that work. Currently, we are using a batch file to run an XML editor post-installation.

I have not added or altered any Environment Variables but, in the "Environment Variables" section of the "Register" process to add or change variables. Also, those are just Registry settings, so you could change the Registry, and then force a system restart after the installation has completed.

All the shortcuts can be created in the "Shortcuts" section of the "System" process.

Yes, you can run most scripts in the "Commands" section of the "System" process. The options here are pretty powerful and we have been able to accomplish most of what we need without needing a batch file. Though for stuff we cannot do, then we do run a batch file. We have not been able to execute PowerShell scripts, though I believe I know why and it has to do with the Execution policy, but batch files always work.