File installed as read only

Common questions about using Actual Installer.
jimsmith

File installed as read only

Post by jimsmith »

One one of the PC I install on some of the file are Read Only. On other PC is Not. Is this caused by the installer? If so what can I do about it to insure it NOT read only.

Jim Smith
Leo
Site Admin

Re: File installed as read only

Post by Leo »

No, because Actual Installer doesn't change the file attributes.
Leo,
Actual Installer Team
https://www.actualinstaller.com
lodestar51

Post by lodestar51 »

I got the same problem this week using A. I. for the first time. The files I compiled were all normal format Excel files with "Read Only" NOT checked. I installed the files and the were copied to the target computers correctly but the files are all READ ONLY. When I right click and get Properties, READ ONLY is NOT checked, yet when I try to save the file with its same name, I get a message that the file is read only.

Furthermore, when I tried to modify a file (by adding a digital signature to one file I had with a macro I forgot about), I could not save the signed file on my computer (which is also where the code signing certificate is). I could sign the spreadsheet and save it just fine, but when I opened it in the folder created by A. I., it came back as an unsigned file and gave me the READ ONLY message when I tried to overwrite it.
Leo
Site Admin

Post by Leo »

Use this code (System\Commands page) to change attributes:

Code: Select all

Command: <SystemDir>\cmd.exe
Parameters: /C attrib +H "<InstallDir>\Folder"
Timing: After Installation
Leo,
Actual Installer Team
https://www.actualinstaller.com
Billiam

Post by Billiam »

I also have the files installing as Read only (but they are not checked), but when I test it, it won't work unless I change it to "Run as an Adminstrator".
But before I created the Installer build, I checked the "run as administrator" on the main .exe file.
But after creating the Installer, the .exe file no longer had the 'run as administrator' option checked.

So, I tried installing the code which you recommended in this post, and it ran, but didn't change anything.

Any help?

(BTW, I LOVE this software and as soon as I get it working I will be buying the Pro version.)