Can't change app install directory or program files folder

Bugs, errors in the program.
fof9l

Can't change app install directory or program files folder

Post by fof9l »

When running the installation file for my app, I can't change the path for the installation of the resulting app or the Windows folder it goes into. The selection boxes are greyed out, and so is the "Browse" button on the file install window. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but I'm darned if I can find what it is, so I'm reporting it as a bug. Maybe it's a bug with the program, or maybe it's a bug with the user...
Leo
Site Admin

Re: Can't change app install directory or program files fold

Post by Leo »

It is not a bug.
Your installation works as an Update, so it uses the destination folder from the initial installation.

To turn it to the new installation go to the Installation \ Upgrade tab and select "Uninstall old installation".
Leo,
Actual Installer Team
https://www.actualinstaller.com
fof9l

Post by fof9l »

Thanks for this, Leo; I knew there had to be an answer somewhere.

However, I don't want to uninstall the previous version, or at least, not all of it; there are some files that I need to leave in place in the user's directory, and with this update, I'm replacing only those files that need updating. It's not necessary to replace all the files, and in fact if I do, the user's settings in their .ini file would be lost. So I tried the setting to "allow multiple versions of the program", and that seemed to work fine, in terms of only replacing the files that were obsolete, and leaving the rest untouched. Was this the right thing to do? It seems to have worked...

Thanks,

Nigel
Leo
Site Admin

Post by Leo »

Then the first method was correct.
Leo,
Actual Installer Team
https://www.actualinstaller.com