regasm question

Common questions about using Actual Installer.
MikeGaskey

regasm question

Post by MikeGaskey »

Hi,

Previously I had asked how to execute regasm via Actual Installer and now have a related question. I need regasm because of a 3rd party .NET com module. After my application is installed and I try to execute it, I get, "Runtime Error! This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way"

I traced the logic flow of the application's executable to the first call to the com module, it fails on that call. The support guy for the 3rd party com module asked:
When you call regasm, please confirm that you are passing the full path of the QlmLicenseLib.dll, i.e. regasm <fullpath>\QlmLicenseLib.dll /codebase

The following is a snagit screen capture clip that shows how I last set up the regasm command although I've tried several other approaches, this was the last one I tried. My goal was to have the com module in my install directory. Can you see anything wrong with the way I have the commands coded? fyi: I also tried replacing <SystemDir> with <InstallDir> and had the same problem. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks - Mike
Actual.png
Current attempt
(9.24 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Leo
Site Admin

Re: regasm question

Post by Leo »

Hi Mike,

Try to place double quotation marks around the path.

Also you can read the article:
How to register DLL & .NET DLL files?
Leo,
Actual Installer Team
https://www.actualinstaller.com
MikeGaskey

Post by MikeGaskey »

I tried your suggestion but it had no effect, the problem persisted.

I also contacted the .NET com module provider and he supplied a bactch (BAT) file to use to "manually" register the module via regasm. That process worked and my application operated as I had expected. I did have to execute it with "administrator" rights, could that be the problem? It is hard to tell since the command window flashes by so quickly when ActualInstaller is executing. The ActualInstaller prcess does ask for permission to execute though so I think it is operating with "administrator" rights.

I added a "Pause" statement to the batch file so that I could review the results and have attached a screen capture of that. Does it give any insight into how I need to adjust the regasm command within ActualInstaller?

I have two additional questions:
1. If the attached screen capture doesn't give us any insight into the change I need to make, is it possible to execute that same batch file via the installer? fyi: had to use dropbox, couldn't up load anything but a *.txt file and that doesn't work for a screen shot.

2. After ActualInstaller goes through its install process and I click on finish, my application does execute (I have a "backdoor" switch in my *.ini file that lets me bypass the need to call the com module, which is used for licensing of my application) but when I close that instanec of my application and try to execute it again it will not execute properly unless I execute it as an "administrator". Is there an ActualInstaller setting that causes this that I can set differently?

Thanks - Mike

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e1f6sm2ursj1k ... taller.pdf
Leo
Site Admin

Post by Leo »

Which version of Windows do you use?

And please send your Actual Installer project file (.aip extension) to our email (Menu in the program: Help\Support...)
Leo,
Actual Installer Team
MikeGaskey

Post by MikeGaskey »

email sent as requeste. I developed on Vista, testing install on 32 bit windows/7. limited version of w/7 as the install test machine is an ASUS netbook.
Leo
Site Admin

Post by Leo »

I have sent you fixed project file.

If it won't help try to execute the BATCH file via installer:
1. add the .bat file to the project on the Additiona Files(in the Destination field select <InstallDir>)
2. on the System\Commands page add this file in the Command field, the Parameters filed leave empty.
Leo,
Actual Installer Team
MikeGaskey

Post by MikeGaskey »

The correction that you sent for my (.aip) project file worked great!

Just so other folks don't make the same mistake that I made to run regasm for an install, registering a .NET DLL, can easily be done by following this approach:

1. Click on the "System" item on the "tree" to the left of the ActualInstaller work space.
2. Click on the "Commands" tab
3. I originally specified:
<SystemDir>\cmd.exe /C regasm /codebase <InstallDir>\xxxxxxLib.dll
<SystemDir>cmd.exe /C regasm /tlb <InstallDir>\xxxxxxLib.dll

it should be:
<SystemDir>\cmd.exe /C regasm "<InstallDir>\xxxxxx.dll" /codebase
<SystemDir>\cmd.exe /C regasm "<InstallDir>\xxxxxx.dll" /tlb

Note the double quotes and the sequence of items specified, this did work.

Thanks to ActualInstaller support fo rthe advice!