How does Updater.exe know what's already installed ?

Common questions about using Actual Installer.
fof9l

How does Updater.exe know what's already installed ?

Post by fof9l »

We distribute an app and we've recently switched to Actual Installer for the distribution of updates. I've checked the box to include Updater.exe in the package.

One client says she has no shotcut to updater.exe in her product folder, so I thought I'd send her a copy of the one installed on our drive. She has version .30, and our latest update is version .31. But that raised a question, how does the updater tool know what revision level is already installed on your hard drive, so that it can appropriately read the text file on our website to determine if the new file is later than the version already installed?

Does the actual executable file copy of updater.exe contain any information about the versioning of the file when it was created? Specifically, if I sent her Updater.exe that was created when we tested and ran the update to .31, would it think that .31 was already installed on her machine and therefore tell her that there were no available updates, despite the fact that she's actually running .30 and needs the update to .31 ?

Thanks for your input,
Leo
Site Admin

Re: How does Updater.exe know what's already installed ?

Post by Leo »

Hi,

Actual Updater works with installations created in Actual Installer. It reads version number from the Uninstall.ini file.
Leo,
Actual Installer Team
https://www.actualinstaller.com
fof9l

Re: How does Updater.exe know what's already installed ?

Post by fof9l »

Thanks for this, Leo; now I know how to upgrade those of my users who have not yet moved to the auto-updater in one stage instead of two.