User cannot run program installed on Win7 server

Common questions about using Actual Installer.
Axel

User cannot run program installed on Win7 server

Post by Axel »

I created an install setup.exe for a project to run on Windows 7 Pro acting as a server. The users login to the server and access programs installed there, rather than installed on the individual desktop PCs.

The installation was successful but here's the snag.
The program runs successfully on the server, but the users cannot run it from their desktops, getting an error saying the path is wrong or they have insufficient privileges. The shortcut points to the correct target and working dir, though the icon does not display correctly.
Yet they can see the executable on the server's program directory (but not run it) and security settings are such that they should be able to run the program. When trying to run it as administrator they still get the same error.

Previous versions were built on VS2010, and installed with the MS provided installation utility. Since then I moved to VS2013 and I am now stuck with InstallShield LE. This proved to be a headache: I moved to Windows 10 on the development PC, and IS LE does not support it, apart from being confusing to work with. I then googled for a different installation software and came up with 'Actual Installer'. All went well until I went to install the program at the customer with the above result.

Needless to say I am now in a bind. Can you help me?
Leo
Site Admin

Re: User cannot run program installed on Win7 server

Post by Leo »

Responded to your email.
Leo,
Actual Installer Team
https://www.actualinstaller.com