Updater function: "Incorrect update information" error

Common questions about using Actual Installer.
AndrevanHaren

Updater function: "Incorrect update information" error

Post by AndrevanHaren »

I cannot get the updating function to work. I followed the instructions and try to get the "Check for Updates" function from the Windows menu to work. What is the reason I get this specific error message when running "Check for Updates" from the Windows menu?

"Incorrect update information"
Screenshot 2019-07-25 at 12.19.02.png
(93.37 KiB) Not downloaded yet
edit: The update.txt file is on my Box.com page, the sharing is set to available for anyone with the link. The update.txt information is shown correctly when opening it in Actual Installer/Updater tab.
I have Actual Updater Pro installed and the extra options are showing in Actual Installer Pro, but I didn't use the Actual Updater program because as I understand it, everything can be done with the actual Installer program. Is this maybe where something is going wrong?

I find this a very confusing option to use. It's not clear when and yes or no to use the Actual Updater program if you also have the Actual Installer pro software. They seem to need to have information from each other, but it's not clear to me in what way. Is there somewhere a better tutorial to get this to work? A video tutorial would be very helpful to see how this is being used.
Leo
Site Admin

Re: Updater function: "Incorrect update information" error

Post by Leo »

What URL do you use for the update information file? Write it here or send to our email (in app select menu Help \ Support).
It should be plain text file, not html. Please check it.
Leo,
Actual Installer Team
https://www.actualinstaller.com
AndrevanHaren

Re: Updater function: "Incorrect update information" error

Post by AndrevanHaren »

Leo wrote:What URL do you use for the update information file? Write it here or send to our email (in app select menu Help \ Support).
It should be plain text file, not html. Please check it.
The url is https://app.box.com/s/h36hfje9tt3pwszo6xsaiv4exgw14ifg which is indeed not correct. Not sure howe I can create a direct .txt link to a box file though. Maybe I should put this update.txt file on another webpage instead.

Update. I was able to fix it, the update function is now working correctly. Thanks for your help, Leo.