Creating folders on target machine

Common questions about using Actual Installer.
pj.field

Creating folders on target machine

Post by pj.field »

Hi, Leo.
I'm a first time user, and I've read the instructions, FAQs and searched the forum till I'm cross-eyed! If this is a stupid question, please forgive me.
I have written and compiled a program suite in Visual Studio 2019, and Actual Installer puts it on a target machine beautifully, using "Standard" recommended directories.
However, I must create new folders on the target machine ("C:\MentorDB\" and "C:\MentorDB\Backup\"), and copy across template files, one *.txt and one *.accdb file in the first.
I know there must be a very simple way of doing it, but I am unable to figure it out. I spotted the instruction -

Command: <SystemDir>\cmd.exe
Parameters: /C mkdir "<InstallDir>\New Folder"
Show: Normal
Timing: After installation

in the forum, but am confused. Again!

Q 1. Do I leave the text in Command line exactly as is-will AI pick up where to run cmd.exe from?
Q 2. I don't want the new folders in the Install Dir, but, as shown above, on the root directory.
Q 3. How do I copy the files into the ...DB\ folder ?

Thanks in advance of a speedy resolution to my problem.

Best regards,

Peter
Leo
Site Admin

Re: Creating folders on target machine

Post by Leo »

Hi and welcome Peter,

Go to Installation / Files and Folders and click Add Files, select your template files (for installing into "C:\MentorDB\"), in new dialog in the Destination / Folder field type:
C:\MentorDB
Click OK. That's it.

If you need to create an empty folder "C:\MentorDB\Backup", on the Files and Folders page, select folder "C:\MentorDB" (after first task it will be shown in files tree), right-click and select "New Folder", type "Backup".
That's it.

There is also other way to create an empty folder using System / Commands:

Code: Select all

Parameters: /C mkdir "C:\MentorDB\Backup"
Timing: After installation
But in this case, this folder won't be removed during uninstallation. To remove it, add one more command:

Code: Select all

Parameters: /C rmdir /S /Q "C:\MentorDB\Backup"
Timing: After Uninstallation
Please note the Timing: After Uninstallation
Leo,
Actual Installer Team
https://www.actualinstaller.com
pj.field

Re: Creating folders on target machine

Post by pj.field »

Hi, Leo

Thank you so much for getting back to me with this advice - you have made it so clear, that even I cannot get it wrong now!

Thanks again

Best regards,

Peter :lol: