McAfee Endpoint false positive

Bugs, errors in the program.
GeekDad

McAfee Endpoint false positive

Post by GeekDad »

Upon installing Actual Installer 9.0, McAfee Endpoint flagged two files (something like engine1.dat and engine2.dat). After many exclusion attempts, it finally stopped nuking the two files. Upon trying to compile a project, it then nuked something in the output directory. I saw the prior post regarding Webroot - maybe try the application against several virus programs to prevent this.

Thanks
Leo
Site Admin

Re: McAfee Endpoint false positive

Post by Leo »

Its a false positive.
We contacted McAfee several times to remove this, but unfortunately, it is still false detected.
Avast, MS and other AV companies removed false positive during 1-2 days by our request.
For McAfee users, we recommend to temporary disable antivirus while installing programs.
Leo,
Actual Installer Team
https://www.actualinstaller.com
GeekDad

Post by GeekDad »

Thanks for getting back to me. I changed some exclusions for the directory where the setup.exe is created. And then it wouldn't let me move the created setup.exe to a USB stick. On a target PC I could try disabling the McAfee Endpoint AV to install, but when it is turned back after install will the uninstall.exe file then be flagged as a false positive and nuke it?
GeekDad

Post by GeekDad »

The requirements for submitting to McAfee is listed, one of which includes reporting Trellix Labs in addition to GTI (Global Threat Intelligence). Apparently McAfee and Trellix Labs are joined at the hip. Was the false positive reported to Trellix Labs?
GeekDad

Post by GeekDad »

I really like the program but users are confused how to disable/enable portions in McAfee to get a compiled setup to install. Way too much hand holding to deal with the false positives. Unless this can get ironed out with McAfee/Trellix we need to move on and we'll re-evaluate in the future.
Leo
Site Admin

Post by Leo »

McAfee has removed these false detections.
Leo,
Actual Installer Team
https://www.actualinstaller.com
GeekDad

Post by GeekDad »

Apparently your response got caught in a SPAM filter and noticed the response earlier today. I re-installed on a new machine and no components of the applications got nuked :) . I had saved the trial application I created but when I tried it on my new PC it wasn't happy with the ***.aip file even though the path and user name matched.

I created a a 'do nothing' install program and...

Success :D

McAfee didn't seem to nuke the created exe either. Sounds like it this application may be a winner with the only complaint being I was not able to transfer my first trial project. Maybe the application checks for absolute paths instead of relative paths - or have a check box to use absolute (or relative paths). Now that the biggest obstacle from the virus scanner 'appears' is solved I will attempt some other projects. Will keep my fingers crossed as I liked Actual Installer the best out of those I sampled.

Thanks!