Final File Size Bigger After Upgrade

What do you think about Actual Installer? Give us your feedback, your ideas, any comments.
Zaphekiah

Final File Size Bigger After Upgrade

Post by Zaphekiah »

Hi,

I just brought out a new version of my own program, and because I saw that version 9.4 of Actual Installer was out I upgraded to that to compile my setup file (before that I am pretty sure I was using the previous version, I only started using Actual Installer a few months ago).

I was surprised to see the final file size of my setup.exe has gone up from 38.5 megs to 59 megs. So far I haven't been able to account for that with any changes in my program. I did reorganize the file structure in Visual Studio, and I added some resource files, but they are way too small to account for this change. Also I have compared what gets installed by both version of my setup.exe and in each case the main executable is 91 point something megs, so there is no real change there, and the rest of the dlls and other files seem to be the same in both cases.

It might be that I am overlooking something but so I far I can't think what it might be. I wanted to check here to see if there has been any change in the compression algorithm in version 9.4 that might explain this, or if maybe I could have inadvertently changed some setting in Actual Installer?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.
Leo
Site Admin

Re: Final File Size Bigger After Upgrade

Post by Leo »

1. Make sure that the setup output folder (see page General / Output) is not the same or a part of the Source Folder (page Installation / Files and Folders).
2. Select the menu "Project / Check for duplicate files", as duplicate files may have been added to the project using the buttons "Add Files/Folder".
Leo,
Actual Installer Team
https://www.actualinstaller.com
Zaphekiah

Re: Final File Size Bigger After Upgrade

Post by Zaphekiah »

Thanks! I had somehow managed to duplicate my main executable, the setup file has gone back to its normal size now. :D