Registering Files on a Windows 7 Computer

Common questions about using Actual Installer.
XiMaker

Registering Files on a Windows 7 Computer

Post by XiMaker »

I've installed on a Vista 32 bit system without problems but when I install onto a users Windows 7 64 I get a problem....

On the "Register" section "Other" tab I have listed several ActiveX controls that need to be registered like the one below

<InstallDir>\System\AdTracker.ocx

on the 32 bit vista it works fine but on the 64 bit windows 7 where we have a "C:\Program Files (x86)\" folder I get the following Error

Window Title: RunDLL
Icon: RED X
Msgbox: There was a problem starting C:\Program
The specified module could not be found.
[OK]

This repeats for each of the items in the list of "Other" items to register and fills the screen.
Leo
Site Admin

Re: Registering Files on a Windows 7 Computer

Post by Leo »

Try to register some of these DLL manually using a command (Start -> Run...): "regsvr32.exe dll_file". If it will register correctly then you need to add this command on 'System-Commands' page.
Leo,
Actual Installer Team
https://www.actualinstaller.com
XiMaker

Post by XiMaker »

I had the regsrv32 in the commands tab but it did not seem to be registering the files - so I moved it to the Register > Other and it worked for 32bit versions of windows but caused errors (above) on the 64 bit. I will try the command option again but something seems to be wrong...
XiMaker

Post by XiMaker »

using the "regsvr32.exe dll_file" in the commands area does not seem to be registering the files - only when puting it into the register section for 32 bit version of windows... 64 bit still returns the errors listed for each file
XiMaker

Post by XiMaker »

as a follow-up ... after installing the software using BOTH ACTIVEX REGISTER and COMMANDS to REGSVR32 on a 64bit version of windows (did not seem to register any files because the software kept throwing errors when it was run) so I ran the command prompt in ADMIN mode and went to my folder that contains all the OCX and DLL files "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mark-It Systems\Mark-It Advantage Xi\System" ran a DOS batch file that I had created using the all the files listed in the COMMAND tab. (see below for a sample list... there are actulally 101 items in the list) Each file did register and displayed an OK button... after doing this it did allow the software to run. SO, is there something different that I need to do to run the register commands in ADMIN mode?

regsvr32 Codejock.Calendar.v13.2.1.ocx
regsvr32 Codejock.CommandBars.v13.2.1.ocx
regsvr32 Codejock.Controls.v13.2.1.ocx
regsvr32 Codejock.DockingPane.v13.2.1.ocx
regsvr32 Codejock.Markup.v13.2.1.ocx
regsvr32 Codejock.ReportControl.v13.2.1.ocx
regsvr32 Codejock.ShortcutBar.v13.2.1.ocx
regsvr32 Codejock.TaskPanel.v13.2.1.ocx
Leo
Site Admin

Post by Leo »

The setup has already an Admin privileges.
So try to launch your DOS batch file after installation as:

Command: <InstallDir>\System\batchfile.bat
Parameters:
Timing: After Installation
Wait: no
Leo,
Actual Installer Team
https://www.actualinstaller.com
XiMaker

Post by XiMaker »

Ok, well - I think it is working using the batch file. Guess I can live with it but seems odd that the batch file can do it yet the commands can't.