Installing to multiple Directories

Common questions about using Actual Installer.
MGShikari

Installing to multiple Directories

Post by MGShikari »

I'm pretty new to this so this will most likely be a stupid question.
I have been having a frustrating problem with installing files into multiple Directories my .exe is basically an addon to an already existing program all I'm doing is making it replace files that already exist but I cant seem to get the files to replace in the specific folders only in the user defined folder.
tried many different things on my test machine
what am I doing wrong?
Leo
Site Admin

Re: Installing to multiple Directories

Post by Leo »

Set up the following settings on 'Installation-Upgrade' page:
Mode: Upgrade Older Version
Uninstall old version before installation: no
Do not allow updateing if program is not found: yes
Leo,
Actual Installer Team
https://www.actualinstaller.com
ckenisell

Post by ckenisell »

If I may, I'd like to add a question onto this thread as it somewhat relates.

I have never created an executable and a friend recommended your installer software. My scenario is almost the same as MGShikari's, but I'm not actually overwriting files.

Basically, a program is already installed in Windows. I want to add files to multiple directories, but how do I know that the user installed the original program into the default location? In other words, how does my installer locate where the original program was installed? What if they installed the original program into a custom directory? Yes, I know I just asked the same question three different ways. :)

Can ActualInstaller find where the original program was installed and, if not, how do I direct the installer of MY executable to browse for the original install location? I have several files that need to go into several different directories within the original program's installated location. Can this be done?

Thanks!
Chet
Leo
Site Admin

Post by Leo »

By what installer the original program has been installed?

Also, you can check the following regisrty key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\"original program name"
Item: InstallLocation

If the above key exists you can retreive it from Actual Installer using the System-Variables page.
Leo,
Actual Installer Team
ckenisell

Post by ckenisell »

Leo wrote:By what installer the original program has been installed?
I don't have this information. It's not my program.
Leo wrote:Also, you can check the following regisrty key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\"original program name"
Item: InstallLocation

If the above key exists you can retreive it from Actual Installer using the System-Variables page.
I don't see that key listed there. The only thing closest is UninstallString.

Anyway, I have been playing with the trial version and I think I've figured out what I've needed. I basically created the same folder structure as the original program with my folders. So, if the person installing with my executable chooses the default location, the files will install exactly where they need to be. If the person installed the original program into a different directory, they can pick a different install location to match the original when using my executable.

It would be great if my executable was able to locate the original install location, but variables and such get pretty complicated for me. :(
Leo
Site Admin

Post by Leo »

I don't see that key listed there. The only thing closest is UninstallString.
In this case, there is no way to retreive the original installation path.
Leo,
Actual Installer Team